GameInformer had the exclusive for TitanFall, but fortunately you won’t already have to buy the magazine. All the details have been leaked in a Neo-GAF thread. TitanFall is the new project from Respawn Entertainment a multiplayer game based on multitudinous battles between humans heavily armed VS Giants exoskeletons. David VS Goliath, the bible becomes a videogame.
TitanFall (Do you like this name? It’s a little bit stupid. Titan was better) will be a game for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC. The game should appear along the next Spring (2014). The Xbox 360 version is being developed by other group, not Respawn Entertainment. TitanFall uses Source Engine and will run at 60fps. More details below extracted from the GameInformer latest issue:
– Xbox One, PC.
– Xbox 360 version developed by someone else.
– Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn’t run it.
– Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them.
– They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don’t specify if it would be this project or another.
– Plan to use Microsoft’s Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations.
– Campaign Multiplayer, “traditional” multiplayer mode, and a “One-Player Mode”.
– Spring 2014 Release Date.
– There are a good amount of screens. In my opinion it visually looks pretty nice.
– First person shooter.
– “Mech” and ground combat.
– “Mech’s” are called Titans.
– They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
– If you don’t want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
– Player characters are called Pilots (male and female).
– They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.
– They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the “brain”.
– You need to be cunning as a pilot. “Hit and fade” tactics is the term the game director uses.
– Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
– There are AI enemies on the maps.
– You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
– Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
– Source gives them 60 fps.
– Modified Source – “Rewriting major portions of it”.
– Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.
– Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.
– Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.
– Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.
– Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.
– Progression system. No details yet.
– Smartglass integration, “some level of” Kinect support, Campaign Multiplayer, Regular Multiplayer, and some one player mode that isn’t revealed yet.
– Thanks to the more open maps, healthy mix of enemy AI and real players, and the ultra-powerful titans, the gameplay loop in Titanfall is more accommodating to newcomers.
-Seeing a match play out on three different player screens in a short demo after the the target gameplay video, the average time of life seems drastically increased over the average Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Halo match.
– Hulking 24-foot tall mechs concentrate heavy fire on anything that moves while lithe soldiers zip across the map with a swiftness normally reserved for superheroes.
– Legions of AI soldiers pour in and out of buildings on a large-scale battlefield as dropships deliver reinforcements from above.
– Weapons of soldiers can vaporize multiple targets at once, but the mechs can repel shots back.
– The Titans move at the speed of a regular soldier in many first person shooters and feature an array of heavy firepower that make them formidable adversaries in open space.
– Titans can be player controlled or can be commanded to guard an area or follow you around.
Thanks, Neo-GAF (Cartman86, chubigans and Najaf).